IWL Faculty Travel Grant Call for Proposals (2018-2019)
Fall Application Deadline: October 12, 2018
Spring Application Deadline: February 15, 2019
Purpose of Faculty Travel Grants: These grants support faculty development in areas of world language instruction or second language acquisition, in any language. Travel funds may be used for presenting a conference paper, participating as a panelist for roundtables or workshops, or undertaking professional training (e.g., OPI Workshop training).
Applicants are urged also to apply for other appropriate funding, such as departmental travel funds and the annual UVA Education Benefit. Details about this benefit may be found at: http://www.hr.virginia.edu/hr-for-you/university-staff/university-staff-benefits/education-benefits/
Eligibility: All full-time faculty members with a continuing contract of any rank, including lecturer and general faculty, who are engaged in the teaching of any world language at UVA, are welcome to apply. Part-time faculty members are not eligible to apply. For spring travel grants, verification of continued employment at UVa for the following academic year may be required once an application is awarded funding.
Application deadlines: The IWL has two calls for applications for faculty travel grant funding in one academic year.
The Fall application deadline is October 12, 2018.
The Spring application deadline is February 15, 2019.
Awards: Travel grant maximum is $1,000, depending on the availability of funds and the number of applicants in a given year. Faculty may apply for one grant each semester. In the spring, priority will be given to applicants who have not already received funding.
For the Fall travel grants, the funding must be used by January 15, 2019.
For the Spring travel grants, the funding must be used by June 15, 2019.
All documentation for travel expenses must be submitted on or before January 15th for fall travel or June 15th for spring travel. Travel that takes place after these dates will not be eligible for funding.
Proposal Format: Include the following headings and sections in your proposal, which should be single-spaced and in 12-point Times New Roman font. The proposal document should be a single PDF (please do not submit as separate PDFs) and should be labeled with the applicant’s last name, first name, and department (i.e., “Smith_Jane_Department”). Please note that if your application does not adhere to the guidelines for length and format, or is submitted as more than one file, the proposal will not be accepted.
Proposal Length: maximum five pages, excluding cover page, budget, CV and letter of support (optional).
1. Cover Page: The first page of the proposal should have the following information:
- Title of Proposal (Include, where appropriate, the title of paper, panel, or roundtable and the day and time of panel or workshop. If you are co-presenting, please specify the name your co-presenter).
- Dates of Proposed travel and location (name of conference, hosting institution, or workshop).
- Email & phone
- U.Va. Department
- U.Va. Status (job title)
- Length of faculty appointment: start to end
2. Goals and Significance of Travel/Project: Present the goals of the travel and the expected outcomes for the faculty member; describe the relevance and significance of the proposed travel for the faculty member and for the overall mission of IWL, how it will benefit UVA, and why the IWL should fund it.
3. Background: Explain the background to the proposed trip, including any previous work that has been done relevant to the travel, and/or its relevance to a larger ongoing project.
4. Dissemination plans: Include plans for sharing the learning from the travel, such as a presentation at the IWL Roundtable series, a substantial entry on the Teacher Talk website, or other IWL workshop or presentation. You may also propose ideas for other workshops, presentations, or dissemination methods.
5. Budget: Include both a narrative justification of the budget and a tabular budget with specific line items for the trip, and the total amount requested. The statement should identify a list of additional sources and specific amount requested for this grant.
6. CV: Provide a CV for each applicant on the project.
7. Letter(s) of support: This is optional/not needed for travel requests.
_____ 1. Cover Page
_____ 2. Goals and Significance
_____ 3. Background
_____ 4. Dissemination plans
_____ 5. Budget
_____ 6. CV
Criteria for evaluation:
Reviewers will evaluate applications based on the following:
Goals and Significance of Project
There is a clear objective that will enhance, create or expand the individual’s professional repertoire/training and contribute to the world languages teaching community. Requests for support to attend a conference or other professional meetings must include explicit explanations of how such attendance will contribute to the development of the faculty member as an effective instructor or IWL community contributor.
Requested amount is reasonable and well justified.
All required elements of the proposal are included. Writing is clear, concise and highly readable.
- Fall applicants will be notified of award decisions by November 2, 2018.
- Spring applications will be notified of award decisions by March 8, 2019.
Any questions about eligibility or suitability of proposals may be directed to the IWL Faculty Grants Committee Chair, Professor Rachel Geer (firstname.lastname@example.org), Faculty Grants Committee Member, Professor Hsin-hsin Liang (email@example.com), and the Director of the Institute of World Languages, Professor Miao-fen Tseng (firstname.lastname@example.org).