IWL Faculty Travel Grant Call for Proposals
Fall Application Deadline: October 13, 2017
Purpose of Faculty Travel Grants: These grants support faculty development in areas of world language instruction or second language acquisition, in any language. Travel may be to conferences to present a paper or to participate in workshops.
Applicants are urged to apply for other appropriate funding, such as departmental travel funds and the annual UVA Education Benefit. Details about this benefit may be found at: https://dm1web.web.virginia.edu/Benefits/Education.
Eligibility: All full-time faculty members with a continuing contract of any rank, including lecturer and general faculty, who are engaged in the teaching of any world language at UVA, are welcome to apply for these Faculty Travel Grants. Part-time faculty members are not eligible to apply.
Application deadlines: The IWL has two calls for applications for faculty travel grant funding in one academic year.
The Fall application deadline is October 13, 2017.
Awards: Travel grant maximum is $1000, depending on the availability of funds and the number of applicants in a given year. Faculty may apply for one grant each semester. In the spring, first priority will be given to applicants who have not already received funding.
For the fall travel grants, the funding should be used by January 15, 2018.
Proposal Format: Include the following headings and sections in your proposal, which should be single-spaced and in 12 point Times New Roman font. The proposal document should be a single PDF (please do not submit as separate PDFs) and should be labeled with the applicant’s last name, first name, and department (i.e., “Smith_Jane_Department”). Please note that if you do not follow format and length guidelines, or submit more than one document, the proposal will not be accepted.
Proposal Length: maximum five pages, excluding cover page, budget, CV and letter of support (optional).
1. Cover Page: The first page of the proposal should have the following information:
- Title of Proposal
- Dates of Proposed travel
- Email & phone
- U.Va. Department
- U.Va. Status (job title)
- Length of faculty appointment: start to end
2. Goals and Significance of Project: Present the goals of the trip and the expected outcomes for the faculty member; describe the relevance and significance of the proposed travel for the faculty member and for the overall mission of IWL, how it will benefit UVA, and why the IWL should fund it.
3. Background: Explain the background to the proposed trip, including any previous relevant work that has been done relevant to the travel, and/or its relevance to a larger field of activity.
4. Dissemination plans: Include plans for sharing the learning from the travel, such as a presentation at the Roundtable series or a substantial entry on the Teacher Talk website.
6. Budget: Include a narrative justification of the budget and a tabular budget with specific line items for the trip. The statement should identify a list of additional sources and specific amount requested for this grant.
7. CV: Provide a CV for each applicant on the project (two page maximum).
8. Letter(s) of support: This is optional for travel requests.
_____ 1. Cover Page
_____ 2. Goals and Significanc3
_____ 3. Background
_____ 5. Dissemination plans
_____ 6. Budget
_____ 7. CV
Criteria for evaluation:
Reviewers will evaluate applications based on the following:
Goals and Significance of Project
There is a clear objective that will enhance, create or expand the individual’s professional repertoire/training and contribute to the world languages teaching community. Requests for support to attend a conference or other professional meetings must include explicit explanations of how such attendance will contribute to the development of the faculty member as an effective instructor or IWL community contributor.
Requested amount is reasonable and well justified.
All required elements of the proposal are included. Writing is concise and highly readable.
Fall applicants will be notified of award decisions by November 15, 2017.
Any questions about eligibility or suitability of proposals may be directed to the Committee Chair, Professor Adrienne Ward (email@example.com), committee member Professor Rachel Geer (firstname.lastname@example.org), and the Director of the Institute of World Languages, Professor Miao-fen Tseng (email@example.com)