2023-2024 IWL FACULTY TRAVEL GRANT Call for Proposals
Fall Application Deadline: October 13, 2023
Spring Application Deadline: March 15, 2024
Purpose of Faculty Travel Grants: These grants support faculty development in areas of world language instruction or second language acquisition, in any language. Travel funds should be used for presenting a conference paper or participating as a panelist.
Applicants are urged also to apply for other appropriate funding, such as departmental travel funds and the annual UVA Education Benefit. Details about this benefit may be found at:
Eligibility: All full-time faculty members with a continuing contract of any rank, including lecturer and general faculty, who are engaged in the teaching of any world language at UVA, are welcome to apply. For spring travel grants, verification of continued employment at UVa for the following academic year is required once an application is awarded funding.
Application deadlines: The IWL has two calls for applications for faculty travel grant funding in one academic year. See the deadlines on the top of this page.
Awards: Travel grant maximum is $500, depending on the availability of funds and the number of applicants in a given year. Faculty may apply for one grant each semester. In the spring, priority will be given to applicants who have not already received funding in fall.
For the 2023 Fall travel grants, the funding must be used by October 13, 2023.
For the 2024 Spring travel grants, the funding must be used by March 15, 2024.
All documentation for travel expenses must be submitted on or before January 15th for fall travel or June 15th for spring travel. Travel that takes place after these dates will not be eligible for funding.
Please carefully review the information below BEFORE proceeding to fill the online application. The application form will ask for the following information:
1. Personal information (including email, name, UVA-status (job titles), length of faculty appointment, UVA Department and/or language program, Name of location of conference or workshop as well as proposed dates of travel);
2. Goals & significance of proposed travel: Discuss the goals of the travel and the expected outcomes for the faculty member; describe the relevance and significance of the proposed travel for the faculty member and the overall mission of the IWL, how it will benefit UVa and why the IWL should fund it.
3. Budget proposal: including travel, lodging, conference or workshop registration fee, other cost, budget total, name and amount of other sources of funding, and net amount requested.
4. Dissemination: State plans for sharing the learning from the travel, such as a presentation at the IWL Roundtable series. You may also propose ideas for IWL-related workshops, presentations, or dissemination methods.
5. Summery of recent professional achievements and developments: List your recent professional achievements and development. Include publications, conference travel, professional development workshops, and grant awards from the past 3 years.
Please make sure to have ALL information ready when filling out the form. And note that the Google form will NOT save your answer if you plan to come back and fill out the rest of the application.
For full details and the application, please click here.