2019-2020 IWL FACULTY TRAVEL GRANT
Call for Proposals
Fall Application Deadline: October 12, 2019
Spring Application Deadline: February 15, 2020
Purpose of Faculty Travel Grants:
These grants support faculty development in areas of world language instruction or second language acquisition, in any language. Travel funds may be used for presenting a conference paper, participating as a panelist for roundtables or workshops, or undertaking professional training (e.g., OPI Workshop training).
Applicants are urged also to apply for other appropriate funding, such as departmental travel funds and the annual UVA Education Benefit. Details about this benefit may be found at: http://www.hr.virginia.edu/hr-for-you/university-staff/university-staff-benefits/education-benefits/
Eligibility: All full-time faculty members with a continuing contract of any rank, including lecturer and general faculty, who are engaged in the teaching of any world language at UVA, are welcome to apply. Part-time faculty members are not eligible to apply. For spring travel grants, verification of continued employment at UVa for the following academic year may be required once an application is awarded funding.
Application deadlines: The IWL has two calls for applications for faculty travel grant funding in one academic year.
The Fall application deadline is October 12, 2019.
The Spring application deadline is February 15, 2020.
Awards: Travel grant maximum is $1,000, depending on the availability of funds and the number of applicants in a given year. Faculty may apply for one grant each semester. In the spring, priority will be given to applicants who have not already received funding.
For the 2018 Fall travel grants, the funding must be used by January 15, 2020.
For the 2019 Spring travel grants, the funding must be used by June 15, 2020.
All documentation for travel expenses must be submitted on or before January 15th for fall travel or June 15th for spring travel. Travel that takes place after these dates will not be eligible for funding.
Applications should be submitted through the online application. Please carefully review the information below BEFORE proceeding to fill out the online application. The application form will ask for the following information:
1. Personal information (including email, name, UVA-status (job titles), length of faculty appointment, UVA Department and/or language program, name and location of conference or workshop as well as proposed dates of travel);
2. Goals & significance of proposed travel: Discuss the goals of the travel and the expected outcomes for the faculty member; describe the relevance and significance of the proposed travel for the faculty member and the overall mission of the IWL, how it will benefit UVa and why the IWL should fund it.
3. Budget proposal: including travel, lodging, conference or workshop registration fee, other costs associated with the travel, the total budget, name and amount of other sources of funding, and net amount requested from the IWL.
4. Dissemination: State plans for sharing the learning from the travel, such as a presentation at the IWL Roundtable series, a substantial entry on the Teacher Talk website, or other IWL workshop or presentation. You may also propose ideas for other workshops, presentations, or dissemination methods.
5. Summary of recent professional achievements and developments: List your recent professional achievements and development. Include publications, conference travel, professional development workshops, and grant awards from the past 3 years.
Please make sure to have ALL information ready when filling out the form. Note that the form will NOT save your answer if you plan to come back and fill out the rest of the application.
For full details and the application, please click here (link is external)
Criteria for evaluation:
Reviewers will evaluate applications based on the following:
Goals and Significance of Project
There is a clear objective that will enhance, create or expand the individual’s professional repertoire/training and contribute to the world languages teaching community. Requests for support to attend a conference or other professional meetings must include explicit explanations of how such attendance will contribute to the development of the graduate student as an effective scholar, instructor or IWL community contributor.
Requested amount is reasonable and well justified.
- Fall applicants will be notified of award decisions by November 1, 2019.
- Spring applications will be notified of award decisions by March 6, 2020.
Any questions about eligibility or suitability of proposals may be directed to the IWL Faculty Grants Committee Chair, Professor Hsin-hsin Liang (firstname.lastname@example.org), Faculty Grants Committee Member, Professor Paula Ann Sprague (email@example.com), and the Director of the Institute of World Languages, Professor Miao-fen Tseng.